Sunday, August 1, 2010

a lesson in flirting

The pubs all fill up for rugby matches. Though it is definitely the most popular sport here, not everyone loves rugby, and those people tend to be pretty vocal about the fact that they don't love it. Still, nearly every public place with a television turns on the rugby matches, and the pubs are all packed. On Saturday we were at a pub for the All Blacks v. Wallabies match, and amongst the crowd happened to be a couple of Norwegians right behind us. We’re talking blonde-coiffed skinny Norwegians with cartoonishly-stereotypical accents. Though I was doing my best to look like I wouldn’t be fun to talk to, they asked where I was from. Please imagine your best Norwegian accent. It went like this:

Blonde dude: So where are you from?

Me: Oh, the United States.

Blonde dude: Oh yeah? So you do not know the rugby?

Me: Actually, I really like rugby.

Blonde dude: So you know only the American football? Which is not football in other countries? You call it soccer. But it’s football.

Me: Yeah I know. I don’t really like American football much though. But I do like rugby.

Blonde dude: American football. Pussies.

Me: You really know how to talk to women.

No comments:

Post a Comment